|Dr. Melinda J. Boone, Superintendent of Schools
The mission of Norfolk Public Schools, the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community, is to ensure that all students maximize their academic potential, develop skills for lifelong learning and are successful contributors to a global society, as distinguished by:
* Courageous advocacy for all students.
* Family and community investment.
* Data-driven personalized learning.
* Strong and effective leadership teams.
* Shared responsibility for Teaching and Learning.
* Access to rigorous and rewarding college and career readiness opportunities.
5-YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN STRATEGIES:
We will promote NPS as the cornerstone of our community’s well-being.
*Big ideas: Technology, Facilities, Competition, Alumni, Early Learning/Literacy
We will empower and facilitate meaningful family and community partnerships.
*Big ideas: Family dynamics, Poverty, Wrap-around Services, Crisis Interventions, Support Systems, Neighborhood Hubs, Community/Family/Parent Engagement, Volunteer Pathways
We will relentlessly pursue engaged learning through high-quality instruction.
*Big ideas: Highly qualified AND highly effective staff, Professional Learning, Closing the GAP, Funding/Grants; Accountability, College and Career Readiness, Human Resources
We will host environments in which all individuals feel safe and secure.
*Big ideas: Cultural Proficiency, Safety, Climate, Relationships, External Influences, Eco-friendly buildings, Alternative Programs, Facilities
We will nurture a culture of excellence, equity and justice through continuous improvement.
*Big ideas: Cultural Proficiency, Closing the GAP, Increasing Resources, Program Evaluation, Early Learning/Literacy, Zoning, School Choice/Open Enrollment, Accountability, Disproportionate populations, Technology, College and Career Readiness
BOARD AND DIVISION PRIORITIES:
1. Ensure full accreditation
2. Increase academic achievement of all students – raise floor and ceiling simultaneously to close achievement gaps
3. Improve climate, safety and attendance
4. Become a School Board of Distinction
5. Promote Norfolk Public Schools to reflect outstanding accomplishments of staff, teachers and students
6. Develop and coordinate a capital improvement plan for facilities and technology to enhance teaching and learning
7. Attract, retain, and help to develop strong academic families and highly qualified teachers and staff